Party wall matters

Party walls (the walls you share with neighbours) usually separate buildings belonging to different owners but could include walls built astride a boundary. If you are planning to undertake building work that directly affects the wall linking two or more properties or within a certain distance of an adjoining property, you will require the services of a Party Wall Surveyor. If you are planning works on your property that affects the party wall, as the Building Owner, will need to serve a Party Wall Notice on your neighbour detailing the works that you propose to carry out. If your neighbour is planning works on their property, you as the Adjoining Owner, should be served with a Party Wall Notice so that you know what is intended. It is important that these Party Wall Notices are served in good time before a project is due to commence.

A Party Wall Surveyor can serve the Notice on your behalf. A Schedule of Condition is then carried out. This is a report on the adjoining property, detailing the condition on the building. This is important so that any damage caused by works can be correctly attributed.

Finally, a Party Wall Award, compliant with the statutory provisions of the Party Wall etc Act 1996 is prepared and published. This document sets out the owners’ rights and responsibilities in relation to how the work should proceed and covers items such as working hours, what happens in case of damage and access for the surveyor(s) during the course of the works.

Avery Associates can and does act on behalf of the Building Owner, Adjoining Owner, or both as the Agreed Surveyor and in accordance with the RICS Code of Practice for Party Wall Surveyors carries out its duties in an impartial manner in the best interests of all parties involved.